Saturday, February 1, 2014

Daily News: Reuters Business News Headlines - After bridge scandal, New Jersey Governor Christie booed at Super Bowl event

Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 07:00 PM PST
Today's Reuters Business News Headlines - Yahoo News:

After bridge scandal, New Jersey Governor Christie booed at Super Bowl event 
Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 07:00 PM PST
New Jersey Governor Chris Christie departs City Hall in Fort Lee, New JerseyBy Victoria Cavaliere and Jonathan Allen NEW YORK (Reuters) - New Jersey Governor Chris Christie was greeted with audible boos and a few loud cheers during a Super Bowl-related appearance in New York City on Saturday, a day after a former appointee said the popular Republican knew about politically motivated lane closures near a busy commuter bridge. The Super Bowl will be played on Sunday in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The governor's introduction was met with a chorus of audible boos and chants of support from the thousands of people gathered in the area for a Super Bowl street fair. He did not mention the scandal during brief remarks in which he thanked the NFL and his New York counterpart and Super Bowl co-host, Governor Andrew Cuomo.
Full Story
Top
China says Japan's 'hype' on air defence zone spreads tension 
Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 06:23 PM PST
China does not feel threatened by countries in Southeast Asia and is optimistic about the situation in the disputed South China Sea, the Foreign Ministry said, warning Japan not to "spread rumors" it plans a new air defense identification zone. China alarmed Japan, South Korea and the United States last year when it announced an air defense identification zone for the East China Sea, covering a group of uninhabited islands at the center of a bitter ownership spat between China and Japan.
Full Story
Top
N.J.'s Christie denies prior knowledge of bridge lane closings 
Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 03:53 PM PST
New Jersey Governor Chris Christie on Friday said that a letter from a former Port Authority official confirmed he had no prior knowledge of the bridge traffic jam that sparked a political scandal.
Full Story
Top
Christie issues denial as 'Bridgegate' scandal flares up anew 
Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 03:53 PM PST
By Edith Honan and Chris Francescani NEW YORK (Reuters) - A former New Jersey official on Friday claimed Governor Chris Christie knew about politically motivated traffic jams as they happened, re-igniting a political scandal that has taken a toll on the prominent Republican. The letter from a former official at the agency that oversees the busiest U.S. bridge sparked a quick response from Christie, who again denied wrongdoing, and prompted a top New Jersey newspaper to suggest the governor could face impeachment. David Wildstein, who resigned his Port Authority post late last year, said in a letter that he had proof of the "inaccuracy" of some of Christie's statements about the so-called "Bridgegate" scandal, which polls show has already started to weigh on Christie's potential 2016 White House bid. Since the scandal first came to light, Christie has denied knowing the cause of the George Washington Bridge lane closings, which occurred after the mayor of Fort Lee declined to endorse the governor in a re-election bid and caused four days of massive traffic jams in that city.
Full Story
Top
Christie's office fires back at former appointee in email to supporters 
Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 03:32 PM PST
Christie speaks as he attends the Super Bowl Hand-Off Ceremony at the Boulevard fan zone ahead of Super Bowl XLVIII in New YorkNEW YORK (Reuters) - New Jersey Governor Chris Christie's office fired back on Saturday against a former appointee who has accused Christie of lying about a bridge traffic scandal involving his top aides. David Wildstein, a long-time Christie acquaintance and one of his appointees at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which manages the George Washington Bridge connecting New Jersey and New York City, resigned from his post after it emerged he oversaw a politically inspired closure of the bridge in September. ...
Full Story
Top
Political paralysis looms as Thais go to polls 
Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 01:48 PM PST
Pro-government supporters hold a placard and white balloons during an election campaign in Nonthaburi provinceBy Martin Petty BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thai voters go to the polls under heavy security on Sunday in an election that could push the divided country deeper into political turmoil and leave the winner paralyzed for months by street protests, legal challenges and legislative limbo. The risk of bloodshed at the ballot remains high, a day after seven people were wounded by gunshots and explosions during a standoff between supporters and opponents of embattled Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra in a north Bangkok stronghold of her Puea Thai Party. The usual campaign billboards, glossy posters and pre-election buzz have been notably absent this time, as will be millions of voters fearful of poll violence or bent on rejecting a ballot bound to re-elect the political juggernaut controlled by Yingluck's billionaire brother, Thaksin Shinawatra. Thaksin, 64, is loved and loathed in Thailand, but his parties have won every poll since 2001.
Full Story
Top
Oscar winner Maximilian Schell dies aged 83 
Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 01:20 PM PST
Austrian actor Schell performs on stage during the Red Ribbon Celebration Concert in ViennaAustrian actor Maximilian Schell, who won an Academy Award for his role as a German defense attorney in the acclaimed 1961 courtroom drama "Judgment at Nuremberg", has died at age 83. The Vienna-born actor died overnight at a clinic in Innsbruck as the result of a "sudden and serious illness", his agent, Patricia Baumbauer, told the Austria Press Agency on Saturday. The brother of actress Maria Schell, he also won a Golden Globe and New York Film Critics Circle award for his role in "Judgment at Nuremberg", which followed a television drama version of the play. "Judgment at Nuremberg," directed by Stanley Kramer, was a dramatization of the war crimes trials in Germany that followed World War Two.
Full Story
Top
Super Bowl has it covered when it comes to weather 
Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 01:09 PM PST
Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch walks off the field at the MetLife Stadium during their NFL Super Bowl XLVIII walk-through in East Rutherford, New JerseyBy Steve Keating NEW YORK (Reuters) - You might not be able to beat Mother Nature but you can try to protect yourself from her and the NFL made sure all bets were covered when it came to Sunday's Super Bowl between the Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks. But the threat of a monster blizzard or a teeth-chattering Arctic vortex disrupting the Super Bowl party was enough for the NFL to take out what experts estimate to be a multi-million insurance policy. The league confirmed to Reuters only that it has interruption insurance for all games but according to Steven Perlini, a vice president for HCC Specialty Underwriters, Inc. which has insured most of the world's major sporting events, coverage is far more extensive and took in every possibility. "I am familiar with it to some degree," Perlini told Reuters.
Full Story
Top
NFL-Super Bowl has it covered when it comes to weather 
Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 01:05 PM PST
By Steve Keating NEW YORK, Feb 1 (Reuters) - You might not be able to beat Mother Nature but you can try to protect yourself from her and the NFL made sure all bets were covered when it came to Sunday's Super Bowl between the Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks. But the threat of a monster blizzard or a teeth-chattering Arctic vortex disrupting the Super Bowl party was enough for the NFL to take out what experts estimate to be a multi-million insurance policy. The league confirmed to Reuters only that it has interruption insurance for all games but according to Steven Perlini, a vice president for HCC Specialty Underwriters, Inc. which has insured most of the world's major sporting events, coverage is far more extensive and took in every possibility. "I am familiar with it to some degree," Perlini told Reuters.
Full Story
Top
UK says close to placing order for F-35 jets 
Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 12:36 PM PST
Britain's Defence Secretary Hammond speaks to reporters during a NATO defence ministers meeting at the Alliance headquarters in BrusselsBy Adrian Croft MUNICH (Reuters) - Britain is close to placing its first order for Lockheed Martin-built F-35 super-stealth jets, Defence Secretary Philip Hammond said on Saturday. Reuters cited sources last week as saying that Britain was likely to announce an order soon for 14 of the advanced jets, marking Britain's first firm F-35 purchase since it committed to buying 48 planes in 2012. "We will have to place a firm order very soon in order to have the first squadron ready to start flying training off the 'Queen Elizabeth' in 2018, which is our current plan," he said in an interview with Reuters Television during the Munich Security Conference. The Queen Elizabeth is one of two British aircraft carriers currently under construction.
Full Story
Top
AT&T cuts prices for wireless data plan customers 
Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 12:11 PM PST
The white Apple iPhone 4 and iPad 2 are advertised in the window of an AT&T cellular store in Los AngelesAT&T Inc, the No. 2 U.S. mobile provider, on Saturday announced a price cut for customers who share large data plans in its latest attempt to regain ground lost to market leader Verizon Wireless and No. 4 U.S. operator T-Mobile US. In what the company called its "best-ever prices," AT&T said a family of four can get unlimited talk and text with 10GB of shared data for $160 a month. The discounts are available to any customer, including small businesses with up to 10 lines, and customers of other carriers who switch to AT&T. The cuts follow recent price adjustments at all four U.S. wireless providers as they attempt to sustain growth in a mature market built on stealing growth from competitors. AT&T and T-Mobile U.S. have been competing fiercely.
Full Story
Top
Arthur Rankin, animator of 'Rudolph,' dies in Bermuda 
Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 11:19 AM PST
(Reuters) - Arthur Rankin, Jr., a prolific animator, producer and director behind holiday TV classics, including "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," has died at his home in Bermuda at the age of 89, a close friend and associate said on Saturday. Rankin passed away this week after a brief illness, Tom Butterfield, head of the Masterworks Foundation in Bermuda, told Reuters. Born in New York in 1924, Rankin teamed with Jules Bass to form a company known as Rankin/Bass that made its mark in the industry for its stop-motion animation and use of celebrity voices in its productions. Arthur Rankin never lost that creativity that came from the child that was in him.
Full Story
Top
Diver dies during Costa Concordia salvage works 
Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 10:44 AM PST
The Costa Concordia cruise liner is seen during the "parbuckling" operation outside Giglio harbourA Spanish diver died on Saturday during work to salvage the Costa Concordia cruise liner, which capsized off the Italian island of Giglio two years ago, the company in charge of the salvage work said. The diver worked for the Spanish company UCS (Underwater Contractors Spain) and was involved in an underwater operation when the incident occurred, an official at Titan Micoperi said.
Full Story
Top
Cargo ship sinks off Yemen killing 12 Indian crew 
Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 08:55 AM PST
A cargo ship sank off the coast of Yemen killing all 12 crew, the Interior Ministry said on Saturday. The ship, which was carrying car tyres and car parts, ran aground on Thursday night but the incident did not come to the attention of Yemeni security until 10 hours later, its statement said. The ship was owned by a Yemeni and was on its way from the United Arab Emirates to Al Mukalla port in Yemen. It sank off the coast of Al Shehar town in Yemen's southeastern Hadramout province, the ministry said.
Full Story
Top
Shareholder DWS urges Lufthansa to appoint new CEO 
Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 08:20 AM PST
The logo of German air carrier Lufthansa is pictured at Fraport airport in FrankfurtDeutsche Bank's fund management unit DWS is growing impatient with German airline Lufthansa's delay in appointing a new chief executive, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung said. Henning Gebhardt, a fund manager at DWS, told the paper Lufthansa was taking too long to appoint a successor to Christoph Franz who said in September he would leave to join Swiss pharmaceuticals company Roche .
Full Story
Top

You received this email because you subscribed to Yahoo! Alerts. Use this link to unsubscribe from this alert. To change your communications preferences for other Yahoo! business lines, please visit your Marketing Preferences. To learn more about Yahoo!'s use of personal information, including the use of web beacons in HTML-based email, please read our Privacy Policy. Yahoo! is located at 701 First Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA 94089.

No comments:

Post a Comment